Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Four Fandom Foods That I Made


Hello everyone!! I apologize for the post gap, life has been busy.
Today, I (Anna) would like to share four recipes inspired by fandoms. The recipes are linked. I made all of them and will review them as we go along.

This recipe was from the Redwall fandom was very good, not too sweet, and not too tart. It was very easy and quick to make, and I modified the measurements to fit my pitcher. Even if you haven't read Redwall, this drink is very good and would make be excellent for parties.
My result: 
 

[I did not make the mallorn leaves that accompany this recipe.] 
"One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man." This recipe turned out fairly well. I was not able to form my dough very easily, however, because I didn't make sure to mix all the flour in. As such, I had to add a lot and it was still sticky, so I ended up with Lembas 'shapes' rather than squares of bread. They taste slightly sweet and slightly lemon-y, almost like a scone. I found them very good, but if I want to make Lembas I will probably try a different recipe that is a little easier.
My result:

Straight out of Narnia, this is more of a jelly candy than anything else. This recipe is for the microwave. Everything was going alright when I started to make this recipe, but it went wrong pretty quickly. No matter how many times I microwaved it, I could not get it to resemble a 'white paste', so I added some cornstarch to the goop. BIG mistake. The rest of the cornstarch had dissolved into the water and had become the goo, so when I added this and mixed it in, it wouldn't dissolve. I whisked it, but to no avail. There was nothing to be done unless I wanted to fish each little lump out (which I didn't), so I moved on with the recipe and hoped for the best. However, this recipe was doomed, even though I followed it as best as I could. It refused to reach a thick consistency, even though the microwaving continued. I poured it into a pan and let it sit over night, then spread confectioner's sugar over it. Another mistake, or at least, it was a mistake to add as much as I did. It was quite suffocating, and the cornstarch lumps were disgusting. The flavor of the candy was good, but not good enough to compensate for everything else. Overall, I say if you want to make Turkish Delight, don't do it in the microwave.
My result:

#4. Percy Jackson Cookies
Blue food for Percy!! This recipe was the easiest (and my personal favorite) of the four. All I did was use the recipe linked, except I added blue food coloring just before mixing the chocolate chips in, and almost melted Crisco instead of butter. I ran out of parchment paper, so I put aluminum foil over my baking sheet and greased it. My cookies turned out fine, except the texture was different, almost sponge-y. I'm not sure why this was, with all the things I changed, but I thought I would warn you. Texture aside, these cookies tasted okay and looked awesome. Next time though, I think I will use a different recipe.
My result:


No comments:

Post a Comment